I volunteered to make the desert for a dinner party tonight, and I’ve been nervous Nelly racking my brain about bringing just the right thing. Hopefully this will be tastey and not contrast with the meal.
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 T orange zest
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
3 large eggs
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 T sugar
2 T unsalted butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 t fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350, and grease and flour a 8 to 10 cup bunt pan.
- Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl, and set it aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat the orange zest and sugar on low speed to release the essential oils from the zest. The sugar will turn slightly orange. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the sugar and mix well. Add butter and beat until light. Mix in the the eggs one at a time. Mix in the orange juice (mixture will look curdled.) Stir in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Transfer batter to pan, and smooth the top. Bake until tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Boil orange juice, butter and sugar over medium heat for about 5 minutes. When cake as finished baking, brush 3 T of the glaze over the cake. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack, and brush with remaining glaze.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, make the icing. Add the orange juice bit by bit to the powdered sugar, as you might not need that much. It should be thick, but pourable. Drizzle the icing over the cake, and let stand until icing sets.